A CALLING, NOT A PROFESSION (blog post #6)

The blog post that inspired me was one that I definitely think other prospective teachers need to read, to ask yourselves if this profession is really for you.

Here is a link to my blog post.

Here is a link to the post that inspired me.

This needs paragraphs and a spell check, but that’s not why I’m writing.

Teaching Is A Profession

It was sort of OK for teaching to be a calling back in the days when women couldn’t be doctors or lawyers or executives or any other job. And you know what, when women couldn’t get another other jobs, lots more women were “called” to be teachers.

If a new teacher could start at $80,000 and expect to make $150,000 or $250,000 by mid-career, I think we could get lots of great teachers who now are unwilling to enter a profession that doesn’t pay worth a darn.

Sure, some people are “called” to be teachers, but there are lots of things to learn about teaching that you have to learn and can be taught.

If you want to help make sure that teacher salaries continue to low, make sure that the people who help determine them know that they can count on people being “called” to teach so that they don’t need to do anything to make teaching a more attractive profession.