Blogging: Who is your audience?

After this Quest you will be able to say “I can”

• Create a page (not a post) on your blog

Most blogs have the metaphor of pages (called “static pages” in some blogging platforms), that do not change often, and posts, that are typically displayed in reverse chronological order. They are essentially the same; that is, the interface that you use to create them both is identical, but they are displayed differently. For example, pages might show up on a menu on the front page, where posts are not.

Pedagogical Justification

In this course, you will be writing about things that you learn. You will be learning things about software, and how software affects learning. Since I have different interests and prior knowledge than you do, it is therefore unlikely that you can write things that help me. Typically, what educators do is contrive assignments and rubrics that tell learners what to do to “prove” that they have learned. What I am asking you to do instead is to decide who your audience will be (e.g., your students, your parents, other teachers in you school or discipline) so that you have an audience that has some chance of being authentic. Of course, if you are doing this activity for a course, you really have little choice about whether to do this activity, but providing this level of freedom is the best that I can do. My hope that at least a few of you will use these required activities to create Something that you will be proud of and will continue to be useful to you in the future. Whether it is a portfolio, a forum for sharing your pedagogical creations, a means to communicate with parents, or Something entirely different is up to you.

What to do

Reply-as-linked-topic to this post and tag with #who-is-your-audience. Your post should include a link to your blog’s About page and a learning narrative describing how you solved this challenge and how long it took.

Write an “About” page for your blog. A good way to start would be go to a bunch of blogs (say, 10) and look at the “about” page; virtually every blog has such a page. Yours should include:

1. A brief biological sketch (a sentence or two)
  • a description of what you will write about
  • a description of your target audience (e.g., “This blog is for middle school English teachers . . .”)

It may seem difficult to know what you will write about before you write it, but you will write about technologies (e.g., things that you find on FreeTechForTeachers.com and articles that we read about technology use in classrooms).

1 Like