Dr. Pfaffman lived in a van (down by the river)

edm510-final-project

Continuing the discussion from The Fruits of Your Labor: EDM510 Summer 2016 Final Project!:

Hi all. Dr. Pfaffman taught us early in the semester to create an interesting title for our topics. So, I thought you guys might enjoy a clip of Dr. P talking about living in his van in Tennessee!. Yes, I know this has nothing to do with the final project, but I loved seeing a video of our real live professor, instead of a bespectacled avatar. No, he didn’t really live down by the river like SNL motivational speaker Chris Farley, but the joke is just too easy.

Anyway, for my final project I created a timeline in Chronozoom titled the American Narrative. ChronoZoom is a free, open source timeline tool that allows historians, historical scientists, teachers and students to create powerful interactive timelines. My goal in using this software is to create an open source forum for which my students may add content throughout the school year. I created several exhibits for specific literary and political time periods. I then added artifacts to these exhibits. These artifacts tie together literature, music, art, politics, economics and culture. My goal is to give my students a complete understanding of how culture and language influence each other.

As my students study specific American literary units, I plan for them to submit additional exhibits and artifacts to the timeline. By the end of the semester, students will be able to view the entire body of work. Throughout the semester students will refer to the timeline for group and individual projects, homework assignments, and quizzes.

Chronozoom is in its infancy. And the program has a few hiccups. Some of my submissions got lost, or duplicated. Also, I am required to use Bing when searching for an artifact. And I am unable to cut and paste specific URL addresses into the program. The software has limited design capability so I can’t modify artistic elements as I desire. But overall, the concept is good. And I think my students will enjoy participating in identifying the multiple cultural influences that shape American literature.

7 Likes

@Erin_Hendricks wow! This is such a neat program. I don’t teach History, but I will definitely have to share with my partner teacher. Great job!

2 Likes

I love your title, good job on catching attention! Thanks for the insightful video too :wink: And Chronozoom seems pretty cool. I don’t teach history, but I love learning about new tools so I will be bookmarking this one for future reference. Good luck next year!

2 Likes

This looks great!

I was about to launch into my “free doesn’t necessarily mean Free and Open Source” rampage, but, Lo! This is indeed and open source project. Here it is on Github!. There are no contributions in the past year, though, which doesn’t bode well for the project. Since it’s developed under Windows, it’ll be hard to find a place to host it on your own (i.e., it won’t be available at Reclaim Hosting). Looks like you might be able to host it for $13/month, see https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Cool as it is, this does look like a site that could go away with little or no warning.

This looks pretty cool. It might be worth checking out how to create a “guided tour.” The timeline itself doesn’t provide much guidance for kids who won’t konw where (or why) to click.

Yes, well, perhaps I should provide people with a somewhat more up-to-date video. A good deal has changed since then. Heck, I even sold the camper.

1 Like

People might be interested in Scalar, which you can install at Reclaim Hosting (or on the http://scalar.usc.edu/ site).

0 Likes

Hope you still have the dog.

0 Likes

Well, no. Thor was pretty old, and though he went on a couple short trips in the camper, he died before I moved out of Knoxville.

0 Likes