Evaluating EDM510, Summer 2015

I’m teaching this course again in the fall, so I welcome your feedback on the course as a whole and assignments in particular. Please hit reply and offer any suggestions, praise, or criticisms.

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. You’re welcome to be anonymous if you like Ha! A funny assignment would be to require people to post anonymously, but then, I wouldn’t know who did it. :slight_smile:

Course Startup

I think that I need to do a better job of explaining the course as a whole up front and the roles that literatecomputing.com and Sakai play. For the fall, I’ll have everything on literatecomputing.com and Sakai will have only the syllabus and assignments that link here.

Here are the quests I from the “essentials” category.

Getting Started with Blog Software

• Good
  • Good, but consider modifications
  • OK, I guess
  • Seemed like a waste of time

0 voters

Learn to use the Library Remotely

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Customize your profile

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Install Chrome and Firefox

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Post a PDF on dropbox.org or google drive with a public URL

[poll name=PostaPDFondropbox.orgorgoogledrivewithapublic URL]

• Good
  • OK, I guess
  • Seemed like a waste of time [/poll]

Get a Gmail Address for the Course and Log In

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Taking and Making Screen Shots

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Learn the Basics of Markdown (not assigned to you)

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Alabama-specific Quests

Alabama Virtual Library (AVL)

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

ALEX assignment

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Things to Know

(Not a very good name for these quests.)

Social Networking and Virtual Worlds

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Things to Know about Copyright Law

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Pedagogy

I think that for the fall I’ll work on adding more readings, either as part of the quests in place, or as companion pieces.

Find Two Journals in Your Field

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

What’s Happening in Your Field?

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Digital Storytelling

• Good
  • OK, I guess

0 voters

Still here?

I think that one thing that this course really needs is a culminating project. The Professional Development Plan assignment could be revamped into some kind of culminating project, or maybe students would leave the course with a new set of lesson plans, or . . . something like that.

I think that the way that I’ll deal with Foliotek is have you write a short piece in which you demonstrate that you have met the standards. It could be a single document (or link) that you submit for each standard that you are responsible for. How does that sound?

One more thing. . .

And the other kind of wacky thing that I have envisioned for this is that the quests here would be interesting, fun, and satisfying enough, that people who are not required to do these quests for a course would want to complete them as an end in themselves. What do you think?

• That is a great idea! Can I tell my friends?
  • Uh, maybe, but you have got a bunch of work to do
  • No way. No how.

0 voters

For the most part, I enjoyed the quests you had us do for this class. I did think that the Wiki assignment was a bit awkward–that might be just because of the summer time-crunch or because the directions were a bit vague. I also thought the final exam was a bit random, especially since some of the things on it were either not covered or came from lecture notes and readings which we weren’t assigned. It wasn’t that it was particularly hard, but it was pretty clear that it wasn’t originally prepared for this class. Overall, though, I enjoyed this class and had fun learning about all sorts of new things to improve my teaching practices! Thanks, Dr. @pfaffman!

Kat Robinson

unpinned #4

I enjoyed your classl. Some of the quests I already knew how to do them because I work for Mobile County School System. Some, were new and exciting ideas to bring to my classroom. I agree with @Kat_Robinson the Wiki assignment directions were a little vague. My group couldn’t decide if we had to use one wiki or post on our own wiki. We were confused the whole way through. A suggestion may be to have students read two articles then discuss them on one wiki and turn in a link to the discussion. Of course have each student create a wiki so they will know how to create one, but then they need to decide as a group which wiki they will use for their discussion. Once everyone expressed their opinions, then each student could go their blog and blog their thoughts on what they discussed. l.
I did not like the final either. There were a bunch of topics not covered. Although I am very happy with my final grade, I think you should take the time and read through the final and remove questions that were not covered. Another suggestion is use your idea for a culminating project for a final exam and Professional Development Plan instead of having an exam. Not sure what you could do about Foliotek. This was my first time ever to use it.
Good luck to you next semester! Thanks Dr. @pfaffman!