ISD581 2016 Spring Final Project

isd581-final-project
isd581

Overview

OK, @isd581, here we go. Your project is 25% of your grade. It should represent 25% of what you have done in this course.

You can make pretty much whatever you want that has something to do with technology that you have learned in this course and instruction or instructional design.

My intention is that you produce something that you will be proud to use and share with others.

It is fine if your project includes work that you have done before (e.g., you build a portfolio), but you only work that you do for this course can be counted as your effort for this project.

• Example: Already have a portfolio? You cannot just turn that in as your project.
  • Example: Does your job require you to make some kind of instruction? You cannot just turn that in as your project.
  • Example: Collecting your artifacts, finding the perfect theme, and building a cohesive site in WordPress? That could be great.
  • Example: Do you usually solve some problem at work using PowerPoint and you are going to do it instead with Scalar? Awesome.

In a perfect world, I would just leave it at that, and you would all make awesome projects.

My guess is that if I did leave it at that, most of you would make pretty great projects, and that giving you more specific instructions will encourage you to do worse work than leaving it that open. For example, if I say “3000 words” some of you will do less work than you would if I did not say that. And about 2/3 of you would be very uncomfortable with so little guidance, so here goes.

Here come some more words.

Project Suggestions

Here are some ideas for things that you might do for your project. They are merely suggestions. You are welcome to propose anything else you like.

• Write a paper about some ID principle you have learned in this class.
  • Make a portfolio with Wordpress, Scalar, or Moodle
  • Make a portfolio with each of Wordpress, Scalar, and Moodle
  • Use Scalar to organize all of the information for your comps
  • Work with a friend to use Scalar to organize all of the information for your comps
  • Build some instructional units with Wordpress, Scalar, or Moodle
  • Use your photo editing skills to make what you create pretty
  • Create or modify challenges for this or future courses (see #drafts for some examples and ideas)
  • Create tutorials for challenges you have completed
  • Build a mini-course out of materials here and have people complete it
  • Write a grant (to an actual funder, so that you can actually submit it.)

Project Length

If you were to write a research paper, a 3000 word/12 APA double-spaced pages would probably be about right. Six 500-word blog posts that are thoughtful and carefully crafted might also be the same as a 3000 word research paper, but six 500-word blog posts that say something like “Hey. Check this cool tool I found on http://www.freetech4teachers.com/ . It is really great.” is not the same as a 12 page research paper. So, if you are going to do something like that, you might do 12 blog posts.

Evidence of Completion

Reply-as-linked-topic to this post and tag with #isd581-final-project. Your post should present your artifacts as clearly as possible. For example, if possible, embed your work in your post, or present screen shots. Your post (which counts toward your word count) should explain how and why your project artifact(s) are worth a quarter of your grade. What did you learn? What is there that we cannot see? Did you try 100 themes before finding this one? What is so great about this one? Did you create a super-awesome image that condenses our whole textbook into one perfect diagram? Use some words to convince us that your picture is worth 1000 words.

Still Confused? Don’t worry

1. At any point you can ask questions in the #isd581:isd581-help category or post in the discussion that I started
  • On April 1 everyone can present what they have, or a piece of it, and say what percent of their project they have at that point
5 Likes