Microblogging: Whither Twitter?

microblogging
edm510

Finding out about Microblogging

It is still hard for me to believe, but many people find twitter a useful tool in teaching and education. In this challenge, you will practice finding web and academic resources that describe how a particular technology can be used in educational settings.

Overview: Find two web pages and a peer-reviewed article about using twitter (or other microblogging platform) in a context you care about (probably your classroom). Write 500-1000 words about how these resources inform how and why you may or will not use twitter in your profession.

Your post here will include a screen shot of your search, a link to your article, a brief (<100 word) description of your blog post, a link to your blog post. This does not count as one of your required post for “Blogging your way through the course.”

Finding the Resources

Find two web pages about how to use twitter in classrooms.

Use your university library to find at least one article about twitter in your field or discipline.

It should be a “scholarly (peer reviewed) journal” (that is, you should click the so-named check-box on the search page).

Include a screen shot that shows:

1. you are searching only “Scholarly (Peer Reviewed) Journals”.
  2. search terms in at least two search boxes
  3. your search had fewer than 100 search results (so refine your search until it has fewer than 100)

I recommend that you limit your search to some subset of ERIC, PsycINFO, ScienceDirect, and JSTOR; I do not see an easy way for you to “prove” to me that you did that or to construct a URL that will do such a search.

If you would like feedback on your search and article you found before you review it, post this in the “help” category.

What to do

Your post here should include #microblogging tag and:

1. the screen shot of your search,
  2. a permalink to your article
  • a brief (<100 word) description of your blog post,
  • a link to your blog post.

This does not count as one of your required post for “Blogging your way through the course.”

Kid Twittering - Microblogging
Twitter Can Work
A truly peer reviewed Twitter journal
The Future of Tweeting History in the Classroom
The Future of Tweeting History in the Classroom
Using Twitter in the Classrroom