Rules, Procedures, and Consequences

#After this, I can say:

• I have selected the rules for my classroom (and can remember them)
  • I have thought about the procedures for my classroom
  • I have determined some consequences

#Rules: Everyone knows that rules are important in all places, especially in the classroom. Rules can keep you grounded to why you are in the classroom. Nicole Sledge wrote in her article Critical First Week of High School,

If the students can understand the rules, then they are more likely to abide by them. Therefore, your rules should be simple, short, and sound. You do not want to make rules that the students can break apart. You also do not want to make rules that you will not enforce.

#Procedures: Sometimes procedures can get lost throughout the year, but stay strong and enforce them! If your students follow your procedures constantly, then your classroom will run smoothly. Unlike rules, procedures are more flexible. There may be a class or two that works without one of your procedures. Or maybe you have a class where you might need to implement a few more procedures. Procedures can also be introduced throughout the year. However, it may be difficult to change their habits. For example: one year I had 6 trays where the students would turn in their work. I only taught 5 classes so toward the end of the year, I decided to remove the unused tray. I had students from my 5th period class putting papers in the 4th period tray because they were so used to turning in their papers in the tray above the bottom. So, if you do make a change, make sure you make it clear to the class.

#Consequences: If you are anything like me, this is your least favorite part of the set-up. Although consequences may seem awful, they are necessary. The thing I like about consequences (rather than punishment) it that the students can understand that they choose the consequence when they brake a rule. Consequences, just like rules are important in the classroom. The most important thing for the teacher is that they are consistent with how they give out consequences. Again, if you make a consequence that you are not going to enforce, then there is no reason to have it in the first place. Rick Smith explains this as the “picket fence” problem in his video. Therefore, be aware of the consequences that you make and take the time to check that you will be consistent with them.

##What to do: Watch the following videos from some of the experts about classroom rules, procedures, and consequences:

Discipline and Procedures by Harry Wong Classroom Rules by keldance7 Procedures Part 1 by Rick Smith Consequences by Grace Dearborn and Rick Smith

Now, you make your own! You are welcome to visit the following sights to see different examples if you are still wondering how to start:

Establishing Classroom Rules and Consequences Classroom Rules on Pinterest Mrs. Holowicki’s Classroom Expectations, Rules, Procedures and Consequences

Once you have your Rules, Procedures, and Consequences, put them somewhere that the rest of your class can access them.

##Proof of Completion:

1. Reply as new topic with the tag #rules-procedures-consequences.
  2. Provide a link to your Rules, Procedures, and Consequences.
  3. List the rule you think is most important for your classroom and explain why.