Searching just for one person's post?

@pfaffman Can you search for just one person’s posts? I wanted to go back and read something that you said, but I could not find the post. Is there a way to search for just one person’s posts?

1 Like

click on their picture and go to their profile. I think that brings up everything that is posted by that particular person.

2 Likes

@nrhudson That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing.

@sjmasline Thanks for asking!

I also wanted to add that if you like something you can find it in your settings under activity and select "Likes Given" I found this out the other day.

2 Likes

Thanks to @nrhudson for his solution, but wait! Discourse’s search feature is pretty darned amazing.

I am afraid that asking this I will sound sarcastic, but it’s a genuine question. Did you see the search thingy up at the top of the screen () ? (And, no, I really want to know if you saw it so that I know how to teach people about this in the future).

Have you been using the search feature?

• I use the search all the time.
  • I have used the search, but not that much.
  • I saw it but I didn’t click it.
  • OMG. I can’t believe I didn’t see it before!
  • That is supposed to mean “search?!”
  • I have never wanted to search.
  • I like tacos.

0 voters

So what about this great search feature?

If you click on the magnifying glass (or type /) you can type stuff and it’ll find things that match while you type (much as Google makes suggestions as you type a search). By default, it searches all posts (topics and replies), but if you are on a user, category, or topic page, it will give you a checkbox to check just that subset.

If you click the “options” link at the upper right of that search box, you will get a list of other things that you can type and some examples. For example, you can add user:pfaffman to include only what I have entered. That might be the answer to your question.

Another handy thing is in:first. This will search only the original topic (the first post). This is handy if you want to, for example, find a certain person’s solution rather than some reply that they wrote. user:pfaffman in:first wordpress will give you just posts that @pfaffman created (e.g., you want to find the challenges that I have created rather than my replies to people’s posts about Wordpress.)

I added a search post to the FAQ category.

3 Likes

Did you mean the magnifying glass?

I have to tell you. I have had a hard time navigating and finding the challenges and replies.

Recently my friend told me to pin your syllabus, so every time I click “Literate computing,” (which I did not know that was a button) I could see your Syllabus as the first item on the menu.

Thank you for your tips, specially @pfaffman’s

"If you click on the magnifying glass (or type /) you can type stuff and it’ll find things that match while you type (much as Google makes suggestions as you type a search). By default, it searches all posts (topics and replies), but if you are on a user, category, or topic page, it will give you a check-box to check just that subset".

It is getting a little better…

1 Like

Hmm. Will it let you pin things? I pinned the syllabus about the time that I got all the challenges on it. I just added a syllabus link to the links at the top of the page and deleted the ones for courses that are not happening now.

I know that you are not the only person who didn’t know to click the literate computing icon, so that’s definitely something that I need to make a bigger deal about at the beginning of the course. Since most sites will take you back “home” when you click on their icon, I thought folks knew. Turns out I was wrong. Check it on your Known and Wordpress sites.

Thanks again for asking a question!