Social Bookmarking: Finding and Sharing

social-bookmarking
edm510

Social Bookmarking and Web Page Annotation

Find out what social bookmarking is. Go do that now. Looking for and comparing some definitions that you find yourself will help you to learn more from reading my definition.

Click here to read my definition of social bookmarking.

Social bookmarking sites allow you to organize sets of URLs that you can then share with others. For example, you might use one of these tools to collect a set of URLs for your class like this woefully outdated set of education-related links. Once students have the URL for your collection in their bookmarks, you can easily transmit URLs to the whole class which is likely easier than having them copy a link off the board, get it in an email, or even find it in your learning management system.

A new class of social bookmarking sites is content curation sites (scoop.it, skim.it,scrible, and crocodoc are a few examples). While social bookmarking sites are primarily just lists of links, curation sites allow you to highlight parts of pages or add your own comments. Some use browser plug-ins that allow you to add comments to any web page, for people who are using the same plug-in. These maybe useful to, for example, allow a class to see other class member’s comments on a site that the class is discussing.

Google+ is not a social

What to Do

Set up accounts on 3 social bookmarking or web page annotation sites. Add at least 20 links to each of them. They can be the same links. You might, for example, add them all to one application, open all of those links in tabs, then add each of them to the other two applications.

If you use a web page annotation site, you should annotate this page so that if others use the same site, they can see your comments!

Evidence of Completion

Reply-as-linked-topic and tag with #social-bookmarking. Include in your post:

1. How you decided which sites to try out.

2. Evidence that you have used three of these tools long enough to add at least 20 links to each of them. For each site you should include:

1. a link to your links link to your links (as in my delicious example or my skim.it link that lets you see my collection of EDM510 2015 Fall Blogs.
    2. a screen shot so that we can see what the site looks like.
  • A recommendation for which one(s) you would recommend (perhaps for a particular purpose) and why.

• A brief description of how you might use social bookmarking in your own teaching. If you get the idea (or a basis for your own idea) from somewhere else, include a link to that site.