This course will require you to log in to a bunch of web sites. Some
will want you to have a Gmail account. For some of these, your Jagmail
address will work, for others (e.g., blogger.com), it will not. If you
have a Gmail address already that you don’t mind using for this
course, that is great. If I were a student, that is probably what I
would do. N.B., that you will be posting things publicly using this
Here are many reasons that you might want to create a separate account to
use for this course:
- You do not want anyone on the planet to know that you are taking
this course or are affiliated with the University of South Alabama.
- You do not want people in the course to have your “private” email
- Once the course is over, you do not want the artifacts that are
produced to be connected to your name.
These are all legitimate reasons. If posting information publicly on
the Internet makes you uncomfortable, you are welcome to use a
The biggest reason to use your “real” gmail address for these
assignments is if you create things that you are proud of and want to
continue to use after the course is over, you will be stuck with
continuing to use the bogus email address that you made up for the
It is fine if you use multiple email address, e.g., one for random
things that you are just checking out and a more formal one for things
that you plan to maintain after the course is over.
Any email addresses, handles, monikers or names that you use for this
course should be professional. That is, the name should be one that
you would not be embarrassed to tell your grandmother or potential
future students, colleagues, and superiors.
Discourse does not share you email address, so you can log in here with your Jagmail email address and use another address for other purposes.
Turn it in
After you get some non-USA gmail address that you will use for the course log in here with that gmail address or your Jagmail address (but you will still need another Gmail address for the course)
- Click “reply as linked topic”
- Choose the category that has “completions” and your course name in it.
- Start the subject with “Success:”
- include a “success” as a tag
- Copy the URL of your post and paste it into the Sakai assignment that brought you here.