Success: Social Media in the Classroom

I found this quest to be both interesting and relevant because students today are becoming more and more technologically aware at younger ages. Teachers need to be innovative in finding ways to incorporate technology use into the classroom.

The articles I read:

Kafai, Y. B. (2010). World of Whyville An Introduction to Tween Virtual Life. Games and Culture, 5(1), 3-22. DOI:10.1177/1555412009351264.

I have a very limited knowledge of virtual worlds, but I often hear even my Pre-K students referring to Minecraft, so it is obviously something that they are aware of. This article helped me get a better understanding of how virtual worlds work. On a side note, I recently watched an episode of Catfish where the girl (high school age) was really into this guy that she met on a virtual world site similar to Second Life. It could have actually been Second Life, I don’t remember what the actual game was called. Anyway, they had been texting and such and as it turns out he was not the person that he said he was and he was doing this to several other girls at the same time. When I saw that episode it was really the first time I realized that sites like that really are another form of social media. I guess I didn’t realize just how much people could “get to know” one another on there. Just another reason to teach Internet Safety.

8 Real Ways Facebook Enriched Ms. Schoening’s First Grade Class

This was my favorite article because I love when other teachers share concrete examples of activities that work for them in their classroom. The bulk of my blog post is about this article.

Boyd, D. (2014). It’s Complicated: the social lives of networked teens. Yale University Press. Free download.

This article is an important read because it discusses why students act the way that they do in terms of social media and it raises concerns for us as teachers of risks that we need to be aware of and work to prevent.

My blog post: Social Media in the Classroom