Success: Social Networking & Virtual Worlds

Here is the link to my blog post. https://lmccalledm510.wordpress.com/2015/07/08/getting-virtually-social/

The assignment we pretty good. I read about somethings that if it were not for this class, I probably never would have read it. The articles give some insight on somethings that you could do. Although, I think that Second Life sounds good in my head, but if I actually had to do it it would be a different story. I think that is would be really confusing and time consuming. I read four articles:

Warburton, S. (2009). Second Life in higher education: Assessing the potential for and the barriers to deploying virtual worlds in learning and teaching. British Journal of Educational Technology, 40(3), 414-426. DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2009.00952.x.

Duncan, I., Miller, A., & Jiang, S. (2012). A taxonomy of virtual worlds usage in education. British Journal of Educational Technology, 43(6), 949-964. DOI:10.1111/j.1467-8535.2011.01263.x

8 Real Ways Facebook Enriched Ms. Schoening’s First Grade Class

Boyd, D. (2014). It’s Complicated: the social lives of networked teens. Yale University Press. Free download.

I don’t know if I would recommend any of the articles. I did like some of the things that the Facebook classroom page was used for. I actually think it would be a useful tool to help keep in contact with parents. I wouldn’t do it on my personal page, but rather create a new account just for the use of my classroom. I would not like a technological component to be required, the assignments you have posted are enough…

You can create a “fan page” (or something like that), so you wouldn’t have to create a separate account (if your permissions are such that merely knowing your name wouldn’t give students entre into your world, but security by obscurity doesn’t work, so you should have your permissions locked down anyway).