Success: Virtual Fun and Networking

virtualworlds
socialnetworking
socialstudies

Continuing the discussion from Getting Virtually Social in a Reading Kind of Way:

Here’s the link to my blog post about Social Networking and Virtual Worlds: https://katseducationblog.wordpress.com/2015/07/13/and-now-for-something-completely-different-social-networking-and-virtual-worlds/

I read and wrote about “8 Real Ways Facebook Enriched Ms. Schoening’s First Grade Class,” “World of Whyville An Introduction to Tween Virtual Life,” and “Situated learning in virtual worlds and immersive simulations. In Handbook of research on educational communications and technology.” I had considered different ways of utilizing social networking in a classroom setting before, but before this quest I had virtually (ha! puns…) no knowledge of virtual worlds. Reading about them definitely made me think back to the days of playing “Oregon Trail” at school (who didn’t LOVE that?!?), I’m intrigued to explore more about what the options are for incorporating these sorts of tools into my classroom one day. I think this quest was fine without a technical component–perhaps there would be time to learn how to use these sorts of platforms in a regular semester course, but this was enough for the time crunch of the summer setting. Also, I still feel like I learned a lot without any technical requirements.

Thanks to @cmartin, @clmitchell, and @mwebb–your posts were helpful for considering how to complete my own!

Kat