Thanks for a great semester!

Hey, @isd581! It’s your last message from me regarding the course. I had a great time and hope you did too.

I have created a survey and would really appreciate it if you would complete it. There are 42 questions. I think that it takes about 10 minutes. If you’re willing, please check this link.

In other news, my partner has accepted a job at the University of Nevada, so sometime before July 1 I’ll be moving to Reno. I’m teaching EDM510 this summer. It has a little overlap with ISD581, but hopefully not too much.

One project that I am interested in pursuing is having literatecomputing.com become a community site for people interested in learning to use computers better, and especially in the support of teaching and learning. I you would be interested in, say, getting a group together to use the site to do some mini-courses, drop me a line.

I have no current plans to take the site down, but FYI, on your profile page there is a “download my posts” button that will let you download all of your data (but not images).

P.S. This site will continue to email you about stuff that it thinks you care about. You might want to visit your profile page and un-check “When I don’t visit here, send me an email digest of what’s new.”

1 Like

Well, shoot. I really am sad that you’re leaving South. Not only were you an extraordinary professor for ISD581, you were my advisor! I had even recruited a student (my son) for your next ISD581 class. I looked forward to getting to know you and hearing about your adventures living in your van and traveling around the country. It was nice to have a professor in IDD who was a bit unconventional.

BTW, absolutely none of this is pandering. I mean every word of it.

Your class truly opened up a new world for me. I was afraid to take it because my computer knowledge and experience were so limited, but I knew I needed what I could learn from the course. If someone had asked me before what operating system I was using, I would have said “HP . . . I think.” It amazes me how much I did learn. I gained so much confidence in my ability to not only use the software covered in the class, but also to learn - on my own - how to make use of other tools. It wasn’t easy. I seriously considered dropping the class midway through but I had worked too hard to give up. Oh, and thank you for the lesson on how to determine if an academic journal is legitimate! I never knew this before, never heard it anywhere, although I should have learned it in library school.

I’m glad that you’re leaving the literatecomputing site up. I expect to refer back to it, and I would be interested in mini-courses.

I wish you the very best.

Becky Wheeler

1 Like